Scholarships & Bursaries for Indigenous Students
University & College Resources for all Canadians
What is the difference between a scholarship and a bursary?
A scholarship is a grant or payment made to support a student’s education, awarded based on academic or other achievement. A bursary is a monetary award made by an educational institution or funding authority to individuals or groups. It is usually awarded to help a student have the financial means to attend school.
What is the difference between Status and Non-status?
A status indigenous person refers to any First Nations person who is registered with the federal government or to a band that signed a treaty with the Crown. A non-status indigenous person refers to any First Nations person who is not registered with the federal government and not registered to a band which signed a treaty with the Crown. In 2013, it was established that non-status “Indians” have the same rights as “Indians”.
Feature: The Sylvia Bowerbank Memorial Bursary
The Sylvia Bowerbank Memorial Bursary recognizes Kijicho Manito Madaouskarini First Nation member Sylvia Bowerbank.
This bursary was established in 2005 by family and friends in memory of Dr. Sylvia Bowerbank who was a professor in the English department at McMaster University and was instrumental in setting up the Indigenous Studies program at McMaster.
This bursary is offered to female students enrolled in the Department of English and Cultural Studies at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario who demonstrate financial need. Preference is given to students who are part of an Indigenous community in Canada.
The bursary can be found on the McMaster University website under the in-course bursaries, Open to the Faculty of Humanities.
How does Financial Aid work?
Resources to explain financial aid in different provinces are as follows:
- Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/learn-about-osap
- Alberta: https://studentaid.alberta.ca/
- British Columbia: https://studentaidbc.ca/explore/full-time
- Manitoba: https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/msa/planning-for-your-future/what-is-manitoba-student-aid.html
- Saskatchewan: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/education-and-learning/student-loans
- Quebec: http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/en/all-publications/detail/student-financial-assistance-1/
- New Brunswick: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/postsecondary_education_training_and_labour/Skills/content/FinancialSupport/StudentFinancialServices.html
- Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca/studentassistance/
- Newfoundland: https://www.gov.nl.ca/aesl/studentaid/
Helpful Sites for Indigenous Scholarships & Bursaries
- Federal Government Funding for Status* First Nations and Inuit students enrolled in eligible post-secondary programs: https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1100100033682/1531933580211
- Indigenous Bursaries Search Tool: https://www.sac-isc.gc.ca/eng/1351687337141/1531406419657
- Bursaries, Scholarships and Awards for Post-Secondary Education: https://indspire.ca/programs/students/bursaries-scholarships/
- Canada Post Aboriginal Incentive Award for being Out of School for one year, and returning to studies, back to school for one year: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/our-company/giving-back-to-our-communities/canada-post-awards-for-indigenous-students.page
- Ontario Native Education Counselling Association Four Directions Scholarship Award: https://oneca.com/ps-student-award
- RBC Indigenous Students Awards Program: https://oneca.com/ps-student-award
- Ontario Resource for Various Funding Opportunities: https://www.ontario.ca/page/indigenous-students
- Indigenous Student Bursary in Ontario: https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/PRDR019231.html
- New Brunswick Financial Assistance: https://nbapc.org/programs-and-services/education-assistance/
University & College Resources by Province
Links for Indigenous Resources in Each Major University/College in Canada:
Brock University (ALL awards)
University of Guelph
University of Ottawa
University of Toronto (ALL awards)
University of Waterloo
University of Windsor
Wilfrid Laurier University
Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology
Red River College
The University of Winnipeg
University of Manitoba
First Nations University of Canada (ALL)
University of Regina
University of Saskatchewan
University of Alberta
University nuhelot’įne thaiyots’į nistameyimâkanak Blue Quills University
Concordia University of Edmonton
University of Calgary
Mount Royal University
St. Mary’s University
University of Lethbridge
University of the Fraser Valley
Simon Fraser University
Emily Carr University of Art and Design
Kwantien Polytechnic University
University of British Columbia
Vancouver Island University (ALL)
University of Victoria
University of Northern British Columbia
Université de Montréal
Mount Saint Vincent University (ALL)
University of King’s College (ALL)
Cape Breton University
NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
Memorial University of Newfoundland
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
University of Prince Edward Island (ALL)
Have ideas on how we can nurture & grow our Community?
We want to hear from you!